Calling Maneuvers for Judges

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun Jun 15 10:31:11 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 6/11/2003 12:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ronlock at comcast.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Calling Maneuvers for Judges
> Date:6/11/2003 12:24:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:ronlock at comcast.net">ronlock at comcast.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Adding the function of calling in a manner suitable
> for judging can be a distraction from 'Caller for Pilot'
> duties.  It's not desirable, but the realities of
> contest manpower sometimes require it.
>
> Even more distracting is (have you been there as a
> pilot or caller?) hearing a scribe call maneuvers
> late or early...and ya hope the judge isn't
> listening. <VBG>
>
> Ron Lockhart

Ron, Steve and all,

One other thing that comes to play is the wrong maneuver being called. If the
judge isn't familiar with the schedule, he would still score it as usual. It
happens fairly often and in all classes.

Another element is the many parts that some maneuvers have, which the caller
will often not state due to lack of time in the flight. Again, the judge
should spend a half hour on the schedule sequence he is to judge, to become
familiar with such details as 2 of 4 or 2 of 2 on the up line or downline, for
example

I agree with Ron that what could be considered good practice for the benefit
of the judge, may be very distracting for the pilot

regards

Matt