Contestant Judging was Calling Maneuvers for Judges

AWorrest at aol.com AWorrest at aol.com
Sat Jun 14 12:45:21 AKDT 2003

Contestant judging doesn't get rid of favoritism or the perception of
favoritism if all the contestant judges are locals.  I've experienced this recently.
For me the perception of favoritism is reduced if a different set of judges
is used for each round.  This probably requires non-contestant judges.  A
better solution is to have non-locals do some of the judging.

The major drawback of using contestant judging exclusively is that it harms
pattern in localities where pattern is not prevalent.  To put on a pattern
contest requires the support of the entire club or at least the acquiescence of
those who don't give a darn.  Non-contestant, club judges become pattern
supporters.  While a contest can use the services of non-competitors for
registration, score keeping, cooking, etc., judging is the best way to turn the
non-competitor into a contestant.  If the club environment is such that the club expects
it members to work at its contests, there is no problem in getting club
judges.  In fact people are hurt if they aren't asked to judge.  I've had more
success in getting a new person to judge than in getting him to fly as a
contestant.

Having said all this, I'll concede that contestant judging, if drawn from the
entire contestant pool, is more accurate and fair than using club judges.
But contestant judging does nothing to promote the support the sport. I'm
willing to put up with imperfect judging if it means the club will continue to hold
pattern contests in the future.

Allan Worrest