Calling Maneuvers for Judges

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 17:17:18 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 6/12/03 9:28:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
gfowler at raytheon.com writes:

> Tony
>
> I was the one flying when this happened. When I heard the judge say " isn't
> he supposed to be inverted" both myself and my caller Lance said "no" in
> unison. During the flight I think two more judge "questions" arose where upon I
> almost missed a downwind centered maneuver because my caller was again
> straightening out judge confusion. Frankly I felt like landing. I really do not know
> how this could have been fixed after the fact unless I re-flew the entire
> pattern.  Considering that I am a very bad Advanced guy I am no where near
> winning anything  so it did not matter. To alleviate this problem on the next
> rounds both myself and Lance started calling out the entire  maneuver loud
> enough for the judges to know that there is both a stall turn with and without
> half rolls and when I was supposed to be inverted.
> These judges were club guys who got the intense training session prior to
> the contest. They were trying their best to do it right, and were just
> confused-no reason to get mad. What I think this underscores the most is that we as
> Pattern dudes are by far the most qualified to judge ourselves, yet no one
> wants to judge- or it appears no one wants to judge at the contests, yet we are
> willing to let the local sport flyers give us all 8 ,9 and 10's no matter how
> bad it is, not know when to zero, look down during the maneuver, etc.
> Here's a vote for contestant judging!
>
> By the way on that same flight.....When Lance was dealing with the judges I
> "thought" the next maneuver was the triangle so I pulled up at center to 45
> degrees, the got the proper maneuver, leveled out and proceeded with a quick
> slow roll that missed center by 2.2 counties, one judge gave me a 6 the other
> an 8, which should have been a 0. Now there is an argument that I should have
> this stupid pattern memorized for my own benefit.
>

> Gray Fowler
> Principal Chemical Engineer
> Composites Engineering

I think this is where I came in :-)  No I don't think you should have to call
anything special, if you call a humpty bump with options the judges should
know what that is, or they should not be judging, but I think it is unreasonable
to expect that anyone knows every sequence by heart and I'm not convinced the
scribe calling the maneuvers is the best answer, not for me anyway.  Seems in
the example that if the caller were calling the sequence, in any reasonable
manner then the error may not have occurred.  Now, it's also possible that, in
this case the judges were just overwhelmed and nothing would have solved the
problem.  No, I don't think we need a rule, no I don't think it is appropriate
in all situations, yes I think it is appropriate at many club level events,
where man power is limited (as you point out, it is already, nearly impossible
to fill the judge positions).

Bob