Nearly Missed

Brian Young b4598070 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 05:44:08 AKDT 2003

I had an interesting practice flight last night. Couldnt believe it happened actually. I went up for my third and final flight of the night, there was a trainer up also. I had just finished stall turn w/ 1 1/4  up 3/4 down, come out to level flight, and I though I was going to fly right past this trainer....well TWHACK.....and I see a few parts falling including my aileron.....but still flying the plane....hmmm I thought ....it handles like on low rates......so I yell at the instructor and ask if hes still flying...ya he says....i said we hit......he didnt think so...lol......     so I check my gear one wheel stays up......(retracts you all remember those)...  setup for a belly landing and put down in the grass....didnt break the prop...but about six inches of my wingtip is gone plus aileron...tire mark on the bottom of my wing...servo stripped...so I wait for the trainer to come in before we go look for parts......his right tire is hanging off the rim and the gear is bent back about
 60 degrees.....closer look theres a 6" prop cut in his wing tip...simply amazing. My wing hit the top half of his tire somewhere passing under his wing..prop bit his wing tip...looked like a knife cut it.

Well thats my war story....found the big pieces so I started sticking those back together last nite...might even make the contest this weeked. The good thing is I pretty much walked right to the lost parts and my distance is right.

We were pretty lucky to have a midair and land both planes......Vegas anyone?

Brian Young
Tulsa
b4598070 at yahoo.com
918-745-6046h