Wrong Maneuver issues

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 13:00:52 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 6/11/03 1:42:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Eric.Henderson at gartner.com writes:

> So does this now become a national standard when it is not it is not a rule
> book requirement?  And how do you adjudicate the pilot who says no? Will
> they get openly or subtly penalized for not doing it "your" way?
>
> This puts the pilot in a very uncomfortable position if t don't want to do.
> Ever taken the time to consider why you don't hear many complaints? Of course
> they will say very little because they inherently fear it could hurt their
> scores if they do not do what the judges or the CD wants.
>
> This is why we have AMA rules so individuals can't just go out there and
> makes thing up because they have the power to do so, or because it is their
> personal preference.
>
> E.

Personally I think we are all smart enough to figure this out, without a
national rule.  If we make things too difficult for the CD and judges then no one
will be willing to do the job, which is a bigger problem.  Personally I don't
see expecting the caller to speak loud enough for the judges to hear as a big
issue and if you are "cute" and call a maneuver a train wreck then it might
cost you, although I suspect most judges would score what you flew and check
after the round was over.  The reality is that MOST pilots have a caller, who is
calling the sequence, maneuver, by maneuver and it is very easy to have him
speak loud enough for the judges to hear and that simple act eliminates the need
to have scribes call the maneuver and eliminates the need for scribes for
most judges.  We can come up with lots of reasons that this won't work and I have
had pilots refuse to call/have the maneuver called and I dealt with it.  I
tried to be fair and not let this effect my judgment, but since I view the
refusal as silly, you would have to wonder if I was successful.  It's hard enough
to find enough judges to fill the chairs, why do we resist something like this
that would reduce the load on the judges and the CD and really adds no REAL
load to the pilot.  I may be biased, because I have always done it this way, so
I know nothing different, but I view presenting the maneuver/sequence as what
this is all about and describing it for the judges is just part of the deal,
the better you do it the less chance there is for misunderstanding.  As the
pilot, with the most to loose, I choose to take control of the situation, where
it is presented.  I realize at the bigger contests, NATs, worlds, etc you (the
pilot) don't have that option and personally I view that as a disadvantage.
The other side of this is at these events you generally have more judges so a
single mistake is less of an issue.

Flame suit on :-)

Bob

Bob