Awfully quite around here

Adam Quennoz aquennoz at ipa.net
Tue Jun 10 14:02:47 AKDT 2003

If everyone wasn't so focused on using "pylon racing props", that would have been achievable a couple years ago.  High pitch props make their thrust at high speed.  Large diameter, low pitch props are what you need for long, busy uplines.  Keeps the speed across the box down below Mach 2 so you have time to fly the sequence with out rushing.  I know the reason for the high pitch props was to load the engine to keep the RPM's down thus lowering the noise.  All one has to do is manage the throttle a bit and the noise won't be a problem.  I guess another problem with large diameter props is ground clearance.  Finally people are getting wise and using fixed gear that should raise the nose another inch or two.

I flew a friends Midwest G-202 with a YS 1.40L swinging an 18X6 carbon prop that weighed a hair over 11lbs.  Knife edge loops were no problem as were multiple upline snaps.  Just imagine what could be done with a 9.75- 10.5lb pattern bird.

But what do I know... I'm just an IMAC convert who has yet to be re-programmed.  :)

Flame suit on!!

Regards,
Adam Quennoz
AMA 383866
IMAC 2439
NSRCA 3546

The only sound I hear is "practice, practice, practice!" Been out flying the Temptation with an OS 1.60 FI dangled on the front. Boy what fun. Even if I never win another round or contest I will go to sleep dreaming about the figure-9 with three 1/2 rolls going up.

With the OS's YS's, Webra's and the recent Mintors, out there today combined with 10lb planes we now have universal greater than 1-1 vertical that does not lose roll rate going up. It really was worth waiting for!!

E.