Team Selection Update

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 10:56:27 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 6/10/03 9:19:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Eric.Henderson at gartner.com writes:

> In the last couple of months I have had the chance to watch Dave Lockhart,
> Don Szczur and Kirk Gray.
>
> What most of us don't see is the practice that these guys put in. I have
> seen Dave preparing to fly when we were all going home because it was raining. I
> have watched Don driving around to "interstate" business meetings with his
> plane in the car and taking any lunch time opportunity at any flying field, to
> practice and get feedback.
>
> Kirk I flew against and only broke 900 once..  "A league of their own",
> comes to mind..
>
> The desire to make the team, the desire to win, the desire to compete, that
> these and the other guys have, only makes the resulting selection even more
> impressive.
>
> I wish all of the contestants in the team selection contest the very best of
> luck and weather...
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric.
>
> P.S. Would have loved to have been there - only six more weddings and 5
> graduations to go!!!!!!

I'll reiterate that, I've recently spent a couple of months with Troy Newman,
preparing for the team trials and he is out every day and where I might fly
3-4 times he will fly 6-10 times on each of two airplanes 4-8 hours at the
field almost every day, wore me out just watching.  So when you watch these guys
fly and wish you could fly like that, remember "THEY EARNED IT".  I'm sure most
of us don't have the talent to fly at that level, but most of us also don't
work at it as hard either.  Another thing I noticed, as Eric pointed out, these
guys "seek out" input on how their flying is viewed and they seek it out from
any available source.

Good luck guys

Bob