Scoring Vs Judging

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Jun 9 16:56:54 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 6/9/2003 8:05:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jed241 at msn.com
writes:

> Conclusion:
> Consistency of scoring from judge to judge is just as important as judging
> each pilot in a round. Unless again the total raw score is normalized to
> define the winner.
>
> Now as my favorite comedian always says, "This is only my opinion, I could
> be wrong". I also admit that I may not know what I'm talking about cause I
> don't understand the math behind it. Not meant to be sarcastic, cause it could
> be true.
>
> If you actually got to this point, you are truly as demented as I am...LOL
>
> Larry

Larry,

I got through it. And I'm not demenetd; just Greek Armenian.

Seriously, this had been hashed over, 20 years ago, when the main move to go
to normalization was prominent. It resurfaces every five or so years, as new
pattern pilots are delving into the scoring details.

Technically you are right in what you are saying, but practically, there are
many variables that often preclude this situation from dominating any one
event. The possibility exists, in other words, but the probability is small.

In regard to judging consistency, judging has come a long way and has really
never been better. It doesn't mean it can't or won't improve. We still have
work to do to get better maneuvers descriptions and improve everyone's
understanding of the downgrades.

This has always been and will continue to be a work in progress.

In the meantime, we have taken several additional small steps in measuring
the individual judge's consistency round for round, by comparing his/her
performance to his/her peers for each round. Please go back and re-read Tony's and
Ron's columns from March and April. And if you have specific questions, I'll be
glad to answer them. Contact me directly. I will be unsubscribing for the next
week or so

Matt Kebabjian