DZ tip

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Sun Jun 8 15:43:04 AKDT 2003

Went to test fly the new plane today with the new YS 140 DZ, but it wouldn't start.  The started couldn't even flip it over, and by hand it would go through phases of trying to fire every flip and not firing at all.  However, the really weird thing was that it would also go through phases of just flipping with no compression at all, much like the prop had come loose.  We tried using the starter when it would get in this phase, and after a few seconds suddenly the compression would come back.  After about 20 minutes of hand flipping it and not a single bit of running, we went home and took it apart.

You serious YS guys will probably know what is happening by now.  Here's what we found: the nut that holds the intake valve to the rocker that you loosen to adjust the valve clearance was totally off, loose inside the valve cover area.  The phases of no compression happened because the valve had been held open by the nut getting in the way.

Very strange that it would come from the factory like that, but, put it back on and it is working fine now.