FZ to L conversion report

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 07:11:26 AKDT 2003

I realize the 16X10 is not enough prop, but I used it so I would have a direct comparison to the performance on my stock and gas port modified FZ's.  The next step is to put it in the plane and measure the "real" performance.

"Henderson,Eric" <Eric.Henderson at gartner.com> wrote:Bob,
          I would suggest that you change props. The 10 pitch will begin to "Whine" at those higher rpms. A really good one to try is the 16 x 12 W. It pulls like a horse and has good down line behavior. I set mine around 8600 on the ground even though it will do 8800.

All engines will go slightly leaner near the top of the vertical lines when you have the tank 12" back. (on our CG). What happens is that the 8600 goes to 8800 at that point, which is just where you want it.  This makes the Masters center Humpty bump FUN!

FYI - My latest 4-c installations have dispensed with the Teflon header. Now it is only used as a coupler. There is an  ES 1.40 2-c pipe that is the same diameter as the 4-c pipe. It is a much longer and allows you to not have 6-12" of Teflon running from the header. This gets rid of a couple of ounces of Teflon and also give you more power. The pipe is so light that you only need one lord-mount support at the back of pipe. (Neck of the stinger).

The pipe fits directly behind the header with a 1/8" gap. It fits directly onto a Central Hobbies header. You need to fabricate a step-down for the CD header. Lately I have been brazing a piece of tubing to the CD header to take 5/8" Teflon. Two inches of Teflon tubing makes a great coupler.

Regards,

Eric.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com