FZ to L conversion report

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 19:59:33 AKDT 2003

I saw it described by Dave Shadel on RCUniverse. Basically I drilled 5 #59 holes through the top of the piston into the backside of the ring groove. I used the headbolt holes to mark the position on the piston before I removed it. I then drilled the holes perpendicular to the sloped crown on the piston so they came into the ring groove at an angle from behind. According to Dave, the ring will actually last longer with this mod. Dave uses a #60 drill, but my local hardware store was out, so I picked up a #59. What's .001" between friends.

The new DZ has 4 slots cut into the crown which do the same thing.

The hardest part about putting the crank ring in was getting it past the opening in the back of the engine. It's not that it difficult, but I heat my crankcase to 325F degrees so the bearing slips in. The hot crankcase made pushing on the edges of the ring a little more difficult, but I just kept pushing the edges with a screwdriver until it slid in. The next part is getting the ring seated into it's final position. Eric Henderson said to orient the ring so the opening is at the top of the case, you can then reach in through the cylinder with a large screwdriver and compress the ring, it slips right in. It worked great.

VicenteRC at aol.com wrote:
Bob:

Those are very nice figures for the converted engine. I have two questions:

1.- What is the gas port modification you mention?
2.- I just helped to rebuild an L for a friend. The L crankcase has a cone
shape so ring can fit easily when pushed agains the crankcase. Does the FZ
has that cone shape?

I have two old FZs. Probably, I will convert one of them.

Thanks for the report,

Vicente
# discussion-request at nsrca.org

Bob Kane