FZ to L conversion report

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 18:06:45 AKDT 2003

Ran the engine tonight:

Tempreature: 67 degrees F
Pressure:      29.93
Humidity:      75%
Elevation:      approx 600'

Fuel:   Powermaster YS30%
Prop:   Mejzlik 16X10
Plug:   OS F
Exhaust: AAP one-piece muffler
Engine mounted in a bench stand

I ran one 4oz tank through it set rich, varying the rpm. I leaned the engine out during the second tank and set a little rich from peaked it ran a little over 9000rpm, with a few brief spurts over 9100rpm. My stock FZ's would turn this prop about 8400, the gas port mod FZ turns it 8600. I'm satisfied. I expect it might get a little stronger when the ring fully seats.

Changes from stock FZ:   L crankshaft, L crankshaft ring, gas port mod.

Rebuild included new front and rear crankshaft bearings, new cam bearings, new crank seal. I honed the cylinder with a brake hone and put in a new ring.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com