FAI F3AL---Pattern IMAC combined

mdarr00 at comcast.net mdarr00 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 17:40:12 AKDT 2003

    Jon, I believe all scores are justified.  Whether the pilot feels that
is the score he deserved or not, does not matter.  What matters it that the
pilot just received some constructive criticism, and I believe that could,
and should be used in a positive manner to improve the pilots skills.  After
all, isn't that why we fly competition?  Whether it be pattern, or IMAC it
does not matter.  I am sure we have all received scores that we as pilots
felt we did not deserve.  Although on the other side I am sure we have also
received higher scores than we deserved.  My point is, any low score, at
least as far as I know has never been given as a personal attack towards a
pilot, and yours definitely was not!  If that is how you perceived it, then
you are in for a long road in competition, because nobody's first zero is
their last.  One of the main reasons that I fly pattern is for the
constructive criticism that I receive from the other pilots.  My flying has
improved rapidly and greatly since I started to fly pattern, thanks to the
advice of other pilots in pattern.  Another thing I have learned that helps,
and also helps prove my point is video taping your flights.  It always
amazes me at how good I may have thought one of my flights was until I
watched the video tape.  The way I see it in the video, is the way the
judges see it, and is almost always different from what I thought of the
flight.  Also I thought you were treated pretty good at that contest.  If I
remember correctly Andy Jesky really helped you a lot that weekend, which
makes me wonder why you think that the guys on top forgot how they got
there.  I believe Andy deserves an apology for that one considering that is
the only contest you attended, that must be where your opinion was formed.
I also remember all of us going out to dinner and having a great evening
with your other IMAC buddies that attended the contest.  I remember us
talking about IMAC and pattern, discussing the similarities between the two.
I really am failing to see were your bad pattern experience came from, but
it could not have been from that contest, because I believe you were treated
just like one of the guys, so yes I took it personal when I read your
comments about the pattern community.

Mike Darr