newbies??

Bill Pritchett phelps15 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 29 18:22:10 AKDT 2003

We have all endured the longest thread know to mankind, and following that, what should we do?  Here's my thoughts:
1.    The "perception" of pattern flyers is a result of pattern flyers going to the field with a purpose - to practice.  Properly handled, it's not an affront to sport flyers.  It's just that we don't want to just sit around and talk for a few hours while maybe putting up a flight or two.  They take this to mean that we don't want to associate with them......ask one of them to call for you....even though you don't need it.....they will have a better feel for what you are trying to accomplish.
2.     Most sport flyers would welcome the opportunity to fly a precision aerobatic aircraft.  Offer it.  Use a trainer cord.  They will be amazed at how good the planes fly, and that we aren't as good as we look sometimes!!
3.    Local clubs can get it all going by having a Sunday afternoon aerobatic contest that uses very basic maneuvers without turnarounds and without all the associated pressures of a sanctioned contest.  Cover the basics of lines, rolls, and loops.  Done in a relaxed manner, many members of the club might be intrigued to pursue improvement.....practice....and look to develop the precision needed to participate in a sanctioned event.  Be sure to give out trophies.......that might be the thing that gets someone going, and they are so cheap.  Maybe the NSRCA could put a format together and send to all local clubs via the AMA??
4.    Immediately dispel the myth of cost.  Except for the well-worn trainer 40's, anyone flying model airplanes have enough disposable income to participate, enjoy it, and not see dollar signs flying by them at the field.  If nothing else, point out the number of flights we are getting in a season from our equipment.......really cheap when you do the math.
5.    Invite people to a locally sanctioned contest - maybe after a few afternoons of success at the local club Sunday event, and seeing that we  really have fun doing this, they will want to try it.  Be sure to point out that it's not necessary to have a "pattern plane" to participate at the entry levels.
6.     CD a contest in your area.  If this isn't going on, then the circle is broken.  You have to really be hooked to travel a few hundred miles, get a room, etc., etc..... this simply isn't going to happen for a typical first contest for most people.  I think that this might be the single biggest thing holding everything up.... I would like to see more contests with the typical turnout, as opposed to a huge turnout at a few.  Haven't we all come to expect six rounds??
7.    Continue to develop a system that recognizes and rewards age in our sport.  If indeed it's a sport, it's sure the only one that doesn't!  Our need for new flyers, however, transcends this one element of the sport.  People that talk about "the kids" were kids themselves..... the industry in general really needs the young folks, too.  The ARF thing should help the kids so used to immediate results -  I always refer to our hobby as the "ultimate video game".... kids really love that.  Maybe there should be a reward system for kids, too...??
8.    Have a companion that supports your efforts.  This is the one we can't do anything about for other folks, but is probably this single most important of all.

Lots of thoughts, very few answers, but a continuation of a very worthwhile discussion.

Bill Pritchett
765-744-9322