"A League of Their Own" was "Great day at work..."

jed241 at msn.com jed241 at msn.com
Mon Jul 28 22:28:34 AKDT 2003

Bob and Pattern Land,

Nice thread and great lead to a question regarding the contest I'm trying to work the details out in Huntingburg, IN.

In conjunction with the NSRCA Tri-District Contest (D3, D4, & D5) I'm trying to pull together in Huntingburg, IN at the Airport. Based on feedback, I will put the contest on as open to all and not as an invitational.

The Mayor is willing to support the contest. However, I have been challenged to provide an Airshow in the City of Huntingburg. After discussing space and availability requirements we are considering a unique baseball field. It is the filming location of the Tom Hanks movie, "A League of Their Own". The Mayor has offered the Stadium for this event and allot of flexibility with timing except that it must be done on Saturday to fit the theme of the Herb Fest for the city.

The field is very plush. I talked with the grounds keeper and he said he would cut it as short as I want it for the Airshow. It's Bermuda grass with golf course green quality. It is a full size stadium with the nostalgia of old time baseball as portrayed in the movie. I will be taking pics and posting them on my website at www.DiamondRC.com sometime this week. We had a semi-pro baseball team play here for some years, but they moved on.

I need help with anyone offering advise on how to make this Airshow a reality in this stadium. From home plate it's 325ft to right and left field and 365 ft to center. I have been in touch with Troy Newman and he did commit to attending the contest and supporting an Airshow. However, he may not know yet the challenge of me being asked to pull this off in this Stadium (not sure if he got to that e-mail yet).

I don't have allot of time to pull this off. But as I see it, what a great opportunity for the AMA and the NSRCA to get some good publicity by performing an Airshow in this arena. I wouldn't be surprised to see a full house in the stadium. I'm not sure of the Stadium capacity. I'll find out and post it. This is intended to become an Annual Event. The Mayor has also asked if I would prefer the Herb Fest earlier in the year next year. There is time to sort this out, but that's his level of commitment.

I'm considering the following time table for the October 4th and 5th Herb Fest Event. Based on feedback, I will put the contest on as open to all and not as an invitational. Either a Class "AA or AAA" for the contest and Class "D" for the Airshow.

Saturday Pilot Meeting at 8am. Contest 8:30 to 3:30pm on two flight lines at the Airport.
Saturday Stadium Airshow at 5pm (1-1/2  to 2 hours).
Enjoy the City Festivities for the evening.
Sunday Contest start at 8:30am and must finish no later than 2pm.
Sunday large Airshow event at the Airport at 2:30 or 3pm (1-1/2  to 2 hours) *Optional*

If the Stadium Airshow is of good solid performance and quality, I would be ok with not having another full Airshow on Sunday and just finishing up and everyone can go home. I will also be soliciting local competent pilots to participate in the Airshow and Contest as well.

Please offer your thoughts. If you can commit or seriously thinking about it, please let me know. I'm very concerned about getting interest of pilots willing to participate in the Stadium. All forms of aircraft would be welcome for the Airshow as long as it can safely be flown in the parameters of the Stadium.

I will not be able to file sanction for a Labor Day contest. I am still open and have had some favorable responses so I may put it on as a non sanctioned event. I'll Keep you posted.

Eric Henderson, not sure if you would be willing to cover this for MA, RCM, or other magazines. If you could offer some contact names that could cover the Airshow and contest, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your input and support. Please help me to support and promote the NSRCA in this region of the country. (Yep, I've stooped to begging) <vbg>...

Larry Diamond
AMA 5024
NSRCA 3083