NEW concept? for pattern entry.

David Wartel d.wartel at comcast.net
Mon Jul 28 18:38:55 AKDT 2003

As a new and aspiring pattern pilot I've been following this discussion with interest. I've been flying rc off and on for over 30 years, but just got into pattern last year. I'm still trying to learn to do the Sportsman sequence respectably.

Personally, I would not like to see the turnarounds eliminated. The ones required in Sportsman are not difficult and the lack of them would not adequately prepare a flyer for the intermediate class. It would also, I feel,  make the sequence too simple.

I would like to see a few more manoevers added as I feel the sequence is too short. (The cobra could also be replaced with something challenging!)

As for getting others interested in pattern, it's a tough sell. They watch me practice doing the same manouvers over and over, and it looks boring to them. Explanations of what I'm doing and how pattern flying can improve one's ability have some effect and a few are showing some interest. One member is considering entering a contest to test the waters.

The perception of it being expensive is also a factor, although I have been flying inexpensive planes so far. (Kaos .40 and .60 two stoke powered Bravo 303 ARF.) A couple of others are flying more expensive "real" pattern planes.

Perhaps giving some of the better sport pilots some stick time on a decent pattern plane and directing them through some of the sequence would wet their appetites.