NEW CLASS for experienced pilots.

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Mon Jul 28 18:04:44 AKDT 2003

jim ivey wrote:

> Next contest  bring your SPA plane and I will take you on with my
> Daddy Rabbit. We will fly expert maneuvers. How long has it been since
> you put 3 loops on top of each other and in the same plane?
>  Joshin'

I have an SPA-legal Kirkland Intruder which is configured just as Jim
Kirkland flew it when he won the Nats in 1970.  It has a Super Tigre
G-60 Bluehead engine and is also painted exactly as Kirkland 's airplane
was.  There is no way I'd accept a challenge to fly against a Daddy
Rabbit with an OS .91 4-stroke engine in it.  When the SPA allowed the
.91 4-stroke engines in SPA events, I dropped out, because the nostalgia
was gone.  The logic of allowing those engines but disallowing retracts
escaped me.  Kirkland's 1970 airplane had retracts.

Ron Van Putte