NEW concept? for pattern entry.

Ed Deaver divesplat1 at msn.com
Mon Jul 28 17:46:12 AKDT 2003

When attracting new pilots, I believe we mainly are up against IMAC in the
attraction phase.  Most sport pilots, early on in their learning curve are
interested in what appears to be "fun."

If we compare 401 with IMAC Basic there is a huge disparity upon the length
of the flight, number of manuervers, and perceived difficulty of these
manuevers.  This is why many contests have opted to double the sequence,
simply for increased flying time for 401.

I agree totally the straight and level flight is essential to being
successful at either aerobatic discipline.  However, we need to look at it
from the potential aerobatic pilot's perspective, not our perspective after
flying for years.  Many, Many beginning aerobatic pilots think 401 is too
simple, or boring in their minds.  We know better but convincing them is
pretty difficult as IMAC has spins in basic, and I believe a level snap
also.

I am not saying switch to this mind set, but I really don't think removing
the turn around manuervers will do anything in the minds of these potential
aerobatic pilots except to convince them it is too easy.

It might be better to add a few more manuevers to increase flight time.
Thereby increasing the challenge to the potential pilot.

Just my opinion.

ed

# discussion-request at nsrca.org