NEW concept? for pattern entry.

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Mon Jul 28 14:12:02 AKDT 2003

W. Eddie Batchelor wrote:

> Hello to the NSRCA list. I have been reading the list for about 3
> weeks now and I'd like to share my thoughts here.
>
> Being from the same hometown as Nat Penton, I have naturally watched
> pattern since my introduction to RC in 1979. If I hadn't abandoned the
> hobby for marriage and etc :-) I would have been flying pattern for a
> long time now.
>
> Since picking RC back up 2 years ago, I've moved up to the skill level
> that I am now attempting to "learn" the 401 schedule and am amazed at
> how "Hard" it is to do such simple maneuvers properly.
>
> Now for my point :-) I ,for one, would not want a simpler
> (non-turnaround)class. It's like remedial math, there's something
> psychological about not being good enough to do it like the big-guys.
> Also it is my understanding that part of the reason for the move to
> turn-around was to speed things up. Would a non-turnaround class slow
> things back down. It would be even more embarrassing for everyone to
> have to wait on the "beginners" due to a slow schedule.
>
> Since my club(LARKS) is hosting a contest this next month, I have
> tried to encourage our sport members to enter. Many have never seen a
> pattern contest (it's been several years since we had a contest). I
> get answers like "I don't want to do that -you have to practice too
> much. I just want to fly"  I would appredciate some answers from you
> experienced guys on how to entice them further. I'm hoping getting to
> see it (the contest)will do some of that.
>
> I'm sure there are many parts to this problem (proposed change) that
> I've not thought about or am not aware of. I just wanted to share the
> view point of someone trying to "start" in pattern. I do realise that
> my view may be biased from having know a little about pattern in the
> past. But knowing about something and doing it are entirely two
> different things ( I'm finding that out)  :-))
>
> Eddie

My strongest argument for sport pilots to try Pattern is because it will
make them better pilots and they will enjoy their sport flying even
more.  The discipline learned in trying to do the maneuvers in the
Sportsman and Intermediate maneuver schedules carries through to sport
flying and they will be amazed at how easy it will be to fly their sport
airplanes well.

Ron Van Putte