NEW concept? for pattern entry.

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Jul 28 12:28:02 AKDT 2003

Jim

But is that not what the  SPA is already? Right now in Texas it is
difficult to get 6 rounds in the day and a half that we fly. Adding 6 more
contestants in one or any of the existing classes really will not impact
the ability to get 6 rounds. Operating a totally new class will. Does the
SPA not hold contests? I am unaware of what the SPA is doing as I have not
been exposed to it in this area.  What does 402 have in it that these
planes cannot do? Are we talking about flying or are we talking about
winning?

Gray
 One problem that exists in AMA pattern is the high expense of being
competitive. I don't know how many times I hear, it is too expensive. I
could take a Kaos and fly the advanced pattern, but I wouldn't be part of
the crowd. The idea we are talking about is taking a cheaper route and
being competitive. It just so happens that the past lends itself to this
idea very well. The planes are still plentiful and they are cheap enough.
The bottom line is, the competition and fun is the same. The first AMA
contest I attended I flew the SPA Daddy Rabbit designed by Jim Whitely. I
progressed to a T2A Mk IV.
I think all we are saying is, get people interested the easiest way and
the rest is a piece of cake.
Jim Ivey

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer