NEW concept? for pattern entry.

Chris Larson csl at direcway.com
Mon Jul 28 07:21:01 AKDT 2003

Eric -
I agree, we need more youth in the pattern ranks.  I am 35 and was sport flying about 3 years before I got hooked.  I have had the privilege of getting a 17 year old ( now 18 ) young man involved in the sport.  We are both passionate about our sport, and as rank beginners, we tell everyone about the fun, challenge, and camaraderie that comes with pattern flying and contests.  We also have a " hey, if we can do it, so can you! " attitude.  I hope to have a few people from our club turn out at our local Sacramento contest this fall.
I am fortunate in that I have several really good mentors in my area that help me out with coaching, setup, etc. ( thanks Dick B, Don A, Frank C, and Mike M! ).
Moral of the story, and back to the point - Maybe a concerted effort by the lower classes to get peers involved combined with a non threatening non turnaround sequence would help.
Once again, just my .02!
Chris Larson
NSRCA 3484