NEW concept? for pattern entry.

Glenn Loud glenn at cs.umass.edu
Mon Jul 28 06:57:07 AKDT 2003

I think one of the biggest problems is the travel. Unless you are
willing to drive 2-8 hrs (in Dist 1) No contests.  I always have guys at
the local club who are interested and love how our Birds fly,
But when you say there is a contest in say Glen NY (we are in western
mass) they go "Oh thats a long ways.." this is one of the shorter events
from us too. ( really not bad but stops folks.)

Having the unscored turnaround is important as then they will at least
learn part of it sooner.

As to the longer flight yes it would be nice for 401, a newbie often is
not used to the Hurry up and wait that we all get used to, and often get
to fly once a day at a bigger 2 day contest.

Pattern primers with just the 401 and 402 groups help ALOT. I know the
ones I went to out in NY back in 97/98 where a big help. Alot less
pressure and more info on the whole
routine before a full contest. Also teaming  veteran Pilots with newbies
(thanks Earl Vincent!)  Like done at some of the NY meets helps too.

My 2 cents. (I was flying 401/402 in 97 and 98. with a break till
hopefully this year.)

Glenn
Glenn Loud

# discussion-request at nsrca.org