140L mystery HELP

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Mon Jul 21 16:49:42 AKDT 2003

Before the Nat's I completely rebuilt my 140L ten or so twelve minute flights
before departing for Muncie and another ten or so flights prior to the start
of competition six single round flights at the Nat's. After returning home on
my second flight the engine sagged on my second time through the advanced
pattern I was running a 15.5x13 APC prop and 30% nitro the engine turn's 8400 rpm.
Today I went to the field and because of the wind changed to a 16x10 APC the
same as I did in the wind at the Nat's the engine turned 9000 rpm and ran fine
through the first time through the pattern and then sagged, the engine never
quit but I landed to check it out. After refueling I started the engine and it
acted like it was very rich but got hot so I shut it down.
Thinking I may have a valve problem I removed the valve cover to check it out
and found that the entire assembly was dry, in fact the valve cover that was
thoroughly clean and dry when it went back together after the rebuild was
perfectly clean and dry (no oil on it at all).
I suspect that the valve train is not being lubricated and after the engine
gets hot the valve train is seizing up.
Has anyone run into this problem or anything else that could cause such a
problem?
Buddy Brammer