2004 Nat's finals for lower classes

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Mon Jul 21 06:43:09 AKDT 2003

Tony Stillman wrote:

>Eric is correct, in my view.  There is a "magic number" that pretty much requires us to go to the matrix system at the NATS.  Whenever we go under that number, we can go back to the standard contest format.  I believe that this will be addressed as well and "break-points" established to determine which system is used.

As the "inventor" of the matrix system, I am very aware that it isn't
for all situations.  In particular, if the F3A entries are less than
about 25 next year, we should probably go to a conventional contest
setup with two flightlines at one site, just as we have run Intermediate
and Advanced for the past several years. On the other hand, if the
Advanced class entries climb much about 25, we will need to use the
matrix system for them and use four flightlines on two sites, as the
Master and F3A classes have been doing.

BTW, based on the questions which have started to arise recently, I will
put an article on the matrix system in my column the September K-Factor,
explaining how it works and answer most, if not all, of the questions
and the occasional complaints about it.  For example, "How much seeding
of the groups is required to get ALL of the finishing positions correct
in a contest?"  Anyone care to do the math?  Details later.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org