2003 Nationals and F3A

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Sat Jul 19 14:38:48 AKDT 2003

Troy Newman wrote:

>Ron its not directed at anyone...We meaning the NSRCA..I'm a member...and yes The 4rds of Prelims would be tough to manage for a good reason...but what about the current format used but flying the unknowns......I'm trying to suggest that the event involves unknown sequences and we should do
>them....As for numbers into the he finals and or semi's I think the more the better...Of course not every pilot should fly the finals but I think with time constraints and all the 10 or 20% which every is more is a good rule.

We need to discuss what to do next year.  However, I am firmly against
having more than 20% of the F3A entrants in the finals.  This is what
the Sporting Code calls for.  I volunteered to judge the F3A finals this
year, just as last year, but when I discovered that 10 pilots were in
the finals (40% of the entrants!), I "unvolunteered".  I can understand
the pilots wanting to be in the finals, but more than five hours to run
the finals is excessive.

>I'm part of the we...that's why it didn't say you guys should run the entire event! The National Championships should include all of the elements of the actual event...Maybe in a modified format...but regardless Even if it was a prelims, semis, and finals just like the book says I think it would be good.......I also think it will inspire more pilots to shoot for the top....

If we get less than 25 F3A pilots next year, we will probably fly them
from two flightlines at one site (probably Site 3).  We could stop the
prelims after two days (four rounds), because we could normalize each
day.  Then we could have the semifinals on the third day and the finals
on the fourth day.  If we have more than 25 F3A pilots next year, we
would almost have to fly them from four flightlines at two sites
(probably Sites 1 and 3).  We couldn't normalize until after after three
days (six rounds), because that's the only way to have each group fly
against all the other groups..  Then we would have to fly the semifinals
and the finals on the fourth day.  The last day would be a "killer".

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org