fixed gear vs. retracts

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 16 10:07:33 AKDT 2003

As I recall the replacement gear (7075 aluminum)  was about 2 ounces lighter than the glass gear that came with my Focus. The original gear was 5.7 ounces.

The failure mode was splitting at the attach point due to lots of landings in grass.

7075 is indeed difficult to work. I think the price for them at Piedmont is still $30. That seems high until you try to duplicate the process.

Dick Hanson offered the suggestion when were first putting fixed gear on Prophecys.

BTW, the popular home-built kit plane (Titan Tornado) uses 1-1/2" diameter 7075 rod as landing gear struts!

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283
Phone: (336)685-9606