2003 Nationals chronicles -Part 2

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Sun Jul 13 19:40:47 AKDT 2003

Sunday was one of those Bill Murray groundhog days that you would live again and again. Some good and some not so good.

Temperature was just hovering below 80F, very light wind and hotel-picture-perfect puffy clouded skies. While Chip and a band of trainee judges were being schooled by Don Ramsey and crew at the AMA HQ, the rest of us settled in for some practice flights at the sites. They allocated the frequency pins to the sites they way they would be allocated on Monday. As luck would have it we were all on the same site.

Joe Lachowski was a casualty of failed-elevator-syndrome and created a new box-marker out in right field. That was tough to watch. We left Joe alone to mourn the loss of his new TEMPTATION and were rewarded with him pulling out his back-up FOCUS and proceeding to fly some very nice stuff. This sport really does test you. Joe passed the test today.

Chip's Bipe was on our site as was Dave Villwock's. The plane is called Double Vision and it very neat to be able to take pictures of two doubles visions together. More on how they flew in post Nat's diatribe.

Donny Wright's was doing a roaring trade selling some very neat stretch plane covers. He ran out very quickly and was last seen ordering a fresh batch for Monday.

Andrew Jesky's scared us all when his ailerons went nuts. He chopped the gas and landed very quickly. Seemed like a problem with vibration when the engine was opened up. He was last seen pulling out his back-up plane to fly as the sun was setting..

Meeting the faces is always a rich take-away from the Nationals. Had a chance to chat with Verne about 2-c's. Chip answered questions about his plane, Dave V was grilled about his plane, Lee Davis had the FOCUS 2 on display. So new that it had no equipment in it. Can't wait for mine.. I promise not to change it at all.... This version has everything in it that I liked in my highly modified version... should be a ball of fun..

Our wives had a late breakfast and showed up about 1 PM so we flew with a clear conscience Tomorrow may be tough with an early start and then judging in the PM. They actually have me slated to judge all three days and the finals. Must be a small misunderstanding.....

Pilots meeting was held at 5 PM after a stirring rendition of the Star Spangled Banner by Mickey Lasorda. Jeff Hill also asked to remember Bill Bennett for his contribution to the sport.

Then it was load up the van (Sadly minus one Temptation), Pizza Hut and then bed,,,

6 AM awake up call.

Hope it is as nice tomorrow and the clock-radio does not keep play the same wake up song every day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodnight to you all!
# discussion-request at nsrca.org