Stall Turns and head winds

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Jul 10 09:48:07 AKDT 2003

Keith

The thing that may be messin' wid yo head is thinking that the plane
itself needs to be at a 45 degree angle (cuban 8). Into the wind it should
look less than 45 and with the wind more than 45. The "abruptness" is
because you have yet learned to anticipate the need to change heading and
then are doing it a little late requireing the abrupt change to maintain
center-geometry etc. Just do not expect me to demonstrate this........If I
ever do it is luck.
The stall turn when done correctly rotates on the CG so the nose into the
wind on the way up translates into the nose into the wind on the way down
when the rotation occurs properly. If you do a mini (or maxi) wing over,
then it gets ugly.Without wind practice getting that stall turn to rotate
on the CG and that will help alot when the wind is blowing. Also remember
that more nose into the wind is required as the plane slows down. When you
do the rotation at the theoretical stall, the wind will blow you
back.....which is not supposed to happen but does.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

"Keith Black" <tkeithb at comcast.net>