Cuban Eight in a head wind

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Thu Jul 10 06:50:56 AKDT 2003

(Another trick is to change your power curve for windy weather using a different flight mode.)

The horizontal 8 is a tough maneuver in a head-wind. We tend to get locked into the attitude of the plane and not focussed on the track that the plane is drawing in the sky. This applies equally to judges and pilots.

For example you would fly a shallower 45' line up into the wind and a steeper 45 down-line down-wind. In actuality the plane would be tracking at 45' but would "look" shallower or steeper due to fuselage attitude.

The dilemma is, do you do it right, or make it look right? I have studied the FAI square on corner in a strong head wind. The top pilots shade the angle by a degree of two. I will watch them again this year at the Nat's to see what a second year of the schedule has done for them!

Another tip is to use some power, (say 1/4 throttle) going down the 45. Use all of the power going up the 45. This assumes that you used about 3/4 on a non-windy day. You can't rely upon the "gravity-drop-dive" a of a plane in a tail-wind. The longer it is hanging out there the more it will move down wind and hence give less of a 45 track, if the plane is at a 45 attitude.

The best tip that I think I was give by Don, was to be much less aggressive with the throttle as I came down-wind over the top of the first part of the 8. Coming of the gas before you hit the top of the first loop and then "purring" down the 45 line really help balance the sizes of the two loop portions.

Eric.