3M "Piranha Putty" - and - Nitro Stan

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Jul 9 19:16:18 AKDT 2003

For filling pinholes Lance Van Nostrand just introduced me to Nitro Stan Red
Putty 9001. It's available at auto paint supply stores (got mine at English
Color). This stuff can be bought in a one pound tube for 7 dollars (would
probably be enough for half a dozen planes). It's nice because it doesn't
have to be mixed with a hardener which means you can work at a reasonable
pace when filling pinholes over a large area without having to keep
re-mixing a lot of times due to it hardening.

It can be applied using a razor blade as a squeegee. Just spread it on as
thin as possible and it will fill all pinholes. The best thing about Nitro
Stan is that it's sandable in about 15 to 20 minutes and it's extremely easy
to sand, either wet or dry. After sanding all that remains on the plane are
the tiny dots that have filled the pin holes.

You could probably do an entire side of a fuse in and hour and a half
including drying time. I prefer to wet sand it because it doesn't make such
a big mess with dust blowing around. Wet sand using a paper towel to wipe up
as you sand.

I wouldn't use this for filling larger spots, but for pinholes it's awesome.

Keith Black