New Bearing Re-Assembly

Dennis Cone cone.man at verizon.net
Wed Jul 9 08:02:55 AKDT 2003

Gentlemen,
Having been a Millwright many years ago one of the first things you learn is
to never pound a bearing into place. Always press, never pound. Pounding
causes microscopic flat spots on the balls, which leads to early failure.
For the size bearings we are dealing with the drill press is a good choice.
Another is to make a sleeve to go over the crankshaft and use your vise to
press it into place. Always press on the inner race, never on the outer race
as pressing on the outer will also cause flat spots when the bearing hits
home and you put that little extra force on it to make sure it is all the
way on. We need to take every precaution we can to make sure our bearings
last as no one likes to change them any sooner than necessary. Hope this
helps.

Dennis