New (to me) Fuel Regulator for OS 1.60

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Wed Jul 9 03:18:09 AKDT 2003

For those searching for devices to make non-pumped motors work more reliably....Iron Bay Models has just the ticket.

I have used this "Iron Bay" regulator for a couple days, notwithstanding the bearing issue, and it has been foolproof.  Pressurizes the tank like a YS regulator, too!  WHen you pull the vent, you get that SHWOOOOSSSSSHHH of pressure....very comforting.
    It is ABSOLUTELY a "demand only" regulator, meaning that ONLY the vacumn from the carb causes fuel to flow.  And I tested the snot out of that thing using an insulin syringe to simulate vacuum in VERY small draws.  It provides pressure, just by bumping the prop back and forth, and has a check valve from the crankcase tap so it gets to max, and stays there.
    Needles ended up just like the manual for the engine says (for normal pipe/muffler pressure), so that tells me it's not providing TOO MUCH fuel (like the CLines that I tried did - everytime), no hydrolocking, no siphoning when off, even leaving the tank pressurized (I forgot between flight attempts, and it didn't seep a drop)
    I'm sold on it and will get another for my PW Extra that that I'm converting to an OS 1.60 also.
Here's the link:
http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/Webpages/Accessories/Fuel%20Regulator.html

It is FAR superior to my unsatisfactory experience with the Cline, and may just make the OS 1.60 really a serious option for folks.  Time will tell.

Bob Pastorello, Oklahoma
NSRCA 199, IMAC 1320, AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net