New Bearing Re-Assembly

David Harmon K6XYZ at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 20:59:52 AKDT 2003

Bob...here is how I do it....

Never use a torch.

I remove everything from the crankcase and put it in the oven at 350 for
about 1/2 hour. Then, insert the front bearing by tapping lightly with a
maple block being careful not to cock it. Next, insert the shaft with
the bearing already pressed on and put on the prop driver and a sawed
off wood prop. Tighten the prop nut pretty tight and check for freedom
of rotation. If ok, I put back in the oven for another 1/2 hour to
'normalize' the case, shaft and bearings. This REALLY helps to get all
the rotating parts exactly lined up like it wants to be. Take out and
set rear down and let it cool on its own. Check for free rotation after
cooling and that's the best it's gonna get!

To fit bearing on the crank....

I use a couple of blocks of maple under the overhanging edges of the
bearing so that the shaft counterweight is suspended off the drill press
table, then I close the chuck of the drill press and press the tip of
the threaded end of the shaft and the bearing comes right off.
When I put the new bearing on the shaft I ensure that it's all the way
on by putting the threaded end of the shaft through the drill press
table center hole and us a length of music wire up the rear of the shaft
or a maple block on the counterweight and press the bearing on.
Or, if I am lazy, just tap the shaft into the bearing with a small
hammer and maple block. I prefer to press it though.

Regards

Dave Harmon
NSRCA 586
K6XYZ at comcast.net