Why the metal cans / There aught to be a law

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 7 08:32:19 AKDT 2003

My statement carried with it an assumed destinction between sensible legislation backed by research and statistical fact, and frivilous legislation that can't be enforced. I am all for seat belts, food quality standards, and smoke detectors and things of that sort, but laws requiring warning lables stating that you shouldn't use acid as a salad dressing or stop an industrial fan with your tongue are just silly to me. They cost companies money, cost consumers money, and only help a very small percent of the population, that probably shouldn't be handling acid anyway.

John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:
I would like to agree with you, but I remember the same cry about seat belts. Without legislation I would still be one of the quirky few to have them in my vehicles.
In the 1960's I was actively competing in Sports car rallies with Corvairs. I wanted to install a roll bar but the wording on the insurance policy would not allow it!

Without mandated inspections, our food supply and our water supplies would not be safe.

In fact, only careful security prevents some idiot from putting that gel cell and a can of fuel in the overhead storage on an airliner. Not only are people getting smarter, some are getting dumber!

If there is no specific law against it, some damned fool will do it!

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283
Phone: (336)685-9606