Fuel Question... Why the metal cans?

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Jul 7 07:55:13 AKDT 2003

A good argument for plastic jugs.........If you have a fire and have metal
cans ...the cans will remain and your insurance company will give you
grief (thats their job)....if you have plastic jugs all the evidence will
melt and burn away.  Methanol is not nearly as volatile as gasoline, and
therefore is harder to light by flame and really tough by spark. Nitro
even harder (ever seen a top fuel dragster spitting fuel out the exhaust
cuz one cylinder would not light). All the gasoline, and paint solvents
are much worse, and frankly if you have a fire in your house big enough to
melt and light a jug of fuel (aint gonna explode in a jug) you are toast
anyway.......and so is your house...with or without the fuel.....the fuel
just "accelerates" the whole situation.
As far as the furnace dude saying it was a bomb....no offense to furnace
dudes but I would trust the opinion of a dishwasher repairman more,
because everyone knows they are much more educated on the flash points of
solvents than furnace guys are-right?
The world is full of stupid inconsistent legalistic crap. All sorts of
chemicals have been regulated or eliminated because thay are deemed
"carcinogenic", yet gasoline is not.......which has a fair portion of
benzene it it which is garaunteed cancer....the public cannot buy benzene
for this reason yet everytime you fill up your car you breath benzene.

In short plastic jugs are fine, just do not store next to your furnace,
BBQ pit, hot water heater, etc. How many homes burned down last year due
to model airplane fuel vs. Christmas trees? Yet no one bans lights an
Christmas trees now do they?????

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering