Why the metal cans / There Ought to be a law

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Mon Jul 7 06:33:32 AKDT 2003

John Ferrell wrote:

> I would like to agree with you, but I remember the same cry about seat
> belts. Without legislation I would still be one of the quirky few to
> have them in my vehicles.  In the 1960's I was actively competing in
> Sports car rallies with Corvairs. I wanted to install a roll bar but
> the wording on the insurance policy would not allow it!
>
> Without mandated inspections, our food supply and our water supplies
> would not be safe.
>
> In fact, only careful security prevents some idiot from putting that
> gel cell and a can of fuel in the overhead storage on an airliner. Not
> only are people getting smarter, some are getting dumber!
>
> If there is no specific law against it, some damned fool will do it!

I have no problem with laws which protect us from others.  The ones
which bother me are the ones which protect us from ourselves, even
though the consequences of bad judgement only affect us.  I agree that
seat belt requirements which are for children are good.  People who
don't like seat belts should be permitted to wipe themselves out, but
children don't have a choice.

The Darwin Award recipients are many and varied.  I continue to marvel
at the incredibly stupid ways some bozos manage to kill themselves.
 They should have the right (and even be encouraged) to do it.  The gene
pool is improved.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Ron Van Putte