O.S. 1.4 RX bearings

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 14:32:01 AKDT 2003

Bob,

 RPM and load are the killers of bearings, all else being equal. Larger props
turning lower rpm should help the problem but the greater load does not.

I think dave hit it on the head: The OS bearing was intended for a smaller
engine designed to turn a smaller load at the same rpm.

The 140 should be using a larger bearing with proportionately larger ball
bearings
. These in turn, would spin at proportionately slower rates when the engine
is at speed, and their larger size would distribute the load better.

In the meantime, I recommend that someone out there who uses the engine
should try to find a bearing that uses thinner races and larger ball bearings. It's
the smallish ball bearings turning too fast due to their small diameter, in
the standard bearing, that wear out under the load of the 140.

Another approach is what 3M Mintors have: two main bearings that look the
same as the OS 140 bearing (but I have not actually measured these). The idea is
better load distribution, but nothing is really being done about the rpm the
balls are turning.

Overall, I prefer the WEBRA approach: Larger bearing all the way around. I
expect the bearing to last for years.

Matt Kebabjian