YS 61LS Woes Might be over!!!!

jed241 at msn.com jed241 at msn.com
Thu Jul 3 19:51:51 AKDT 2003

I would like to thank all those that have been very helpful in responding to a rookie having a tough go with this YS 61LS. I would like to offer a special thanks to David Harmon for his great advise offline over the last couple days.

I think by now, I know more about the engine than I will ever need to know in the future.

I ordered replacement parts because of an initial problem I was having when I first tried running the engine. It was hunting at idle...I believe this problem was solved by replacing the diaphragm. I also took the liberty of replacing the seal and spring. The problem then became, blowing the spinner off. I believe this is due to running too lean.

I finally took my third engine YS 61AR and replaced the plunger, seal, and spring. It kept flooding and wouldn't stop.

Being the good modeler and buying enough parts for spares, I finally received a surge of e-mail from last weeks post that got me thinking about what it was that I actually used....

I checked the spare parts bags of the four parts I used. The only parts that were correct for the 61LS was the diaphram. All the other parts were for the other YS 4-Cycle engines, I bought 4 sets. As an unsuspecting modeler, I didn't think to check the actual part numbers and assumed that they were correct because I provided the correct part numbers. The looked right. But I don't think they are.

After 6 long months of fighting the engines and spending many $$$, one must check to be certain that you received the parts you actually ordered. Sounds simple enough, but it's easy to get too confident with any supplier. I will not state the place I bought the parts, as I share in some of the responsibility. But I will be calling them....<vbg>

See ya,

Larry