Judging behaviour

Del Rykert drykert at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 20:31:41 AKST 2003

Hi Peter.

    I understand your frustration although I don't come to the same conclusion. My reasoning is that I campaigned to have that specific restriction eased from the judging code of ethics because for those of us that don't have any other chances for constructive feedback receive enormous encouragement from those judges that give sincere feedback that is in flow with the rules and what the majority of competitors follow. E.g.. Don Lowe gave me feedback after one of my flights at my first NATS. The first time I had received such feedback. I had centering issues with my maneuvers and wasn't aware of the problem. His comments benefited me immensely. As I had no one from my area that flew pattern and I wasn't welcomed and given guidance at the contests I flew I had nothing to gauge why I was always scoring poorly. I was blaming my aircraft. If he hadn't made that comment I may have left the sport, May have never went back to another NAT'S etc. His comment gave me the encouragement I needed as it was an answer to a vexing problem I had with my flying.
    Would a better response to the feedback you received have been to thank him for his suggestion and asked others you value and trust for their input on your flying style and if you truly needed to adjust it. Bad judges are never going to be totally eliminated. Judging is much better in quality and consistency than it used to be. More work is being done and will continue to address the issues that need fixing.

    I am truly sorry for your experience and the bitter taste it left for you. Reminds me of the time I was flying and in contention when the CD came up and was talking to the judges watching me during my flight distracting them from their duties. I didn't file a protest. When more demands are being made on the people involved in the sport some problems also arise that might not otherwise. To much work for to few people.

     Del K. Rykert
     AMA - 8928
     NSRCA - 473
     Kb2joi - General