Judging behavior

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Fri Jan 24 09:46:11 AKST 2003

Well, it looks like I'll have to limit my pit talk to beer guzzling.  In
all liklihood, this probably won't be mucn of an effect.
--Lance

I have seen and heard pilots planting the "seeds of doubt" in the minds of
pilots who would later judge their class. I once dealt with a top level
pilot who was standing behind the judges and next to other pilot judges.
He was giving loud detailed descriptions and remarks on whether a rival's
plane was snapping or not. A day or two later I took the time and trouble
to try and educate that pilot of the unsporting nature of this conduct.
Result was long term animosity.

 Pilot judging has problems. One problem is that you should not look at the
scores of a class that you are judging. Yet if you go and look at your own
scores it is almost impossible to not notice who is doing well in the
other classes. This is another form of influencing that we cannot control.
I just hope that education will prevail over legislation.

 Eric.