Fires in Canberra_off topic

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Jan 22 16:03:42 AKST 2003

In a message dated 1/22/2003 12:58:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au writes:

> Subj:Fires in Canberra_off topic
> Date:1/22/2003 12:58:20 AM Eastern Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au">Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> File:InterScan_Disclaimer.txt (907 bytes) DL Time (209856 bps): < 1 minute
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Hi all,
>
> Some of you may know me from lurking around here from time to time.
>
> I'm not sure how many of you around the world have seen the devastation and
> trauma that so many have suffered in my part of the world. I live in
> Canberra ( Australia) and sofar I am one of the lucky ones. At this point
> my
> house is still standing. However the weekend forecast is very worrying,
> with
> winds predicted to swing around again and with it, extreme temperatures. My
> elderly fathers farm is on the outskirts of town...right in the path of one
> of the still out of control fires. Once it roars through there, it is in
> the
> suburbs again and possibly my house. We are packed and ready to leave
> should
> I have to pull back from fighting at Dads and need to evacuate my family.
>
> Strange as it may sound..I actually had room to pack my F3A model.
>
> Some of you may have experienced something like this before, but I cannot
> describe the ferocity of these fires. Cars were overturned from its
> strength, tumbling like leaves. Houses spontaneously erupting in flames. I
> feel like I have seen the flames of Hell . It was unbelievable.
>
> I had better go as my employer is the local utility provider and we are
> flat
> out trying to restore essential services to the people of this city.
>
> We are all praying that this weekends weather will spare the sofar other
> untouched areas of this city..it does however look bleak.
>
> Please spare a thought for the hundreds of families that have lost
> everything these last few days.
>
> See you all on the list as soon as I can
>
> 10's to you all
>
> Tom

Tom, I heard about the fires on Public Radio International a couple days ago,
and wondered where you were in relation to these.

We had our share of forrest fires in Florida just a couple years ago and I
really empathize with you and your mates. We were lucky enough not to be
affected too badly; just smoke in my area.

I95 the main north-south highway through the eastern part of the state was
often closed because of smoke and flames. One of the techs was a volunteer
fireman in our area and he told incredible stories like the time he witnessed
the flame jump over the highway to the other side of the roadway, and start a
new fire there. That is a distance of about a mile. It hard to conceive such
an event but the ferocity of these fires is amazing. In Florida, we
understand. Terrific property damage, yet I don't recall hearing of any
deaths directly due to fires. Very Lucky

My thoughts and prayers with you and your family. Good luck with all tha is
going on down there

Matt