where does the model roll?

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 9 14:00:07 AKST 2003

IMHO:
The airplane that rolls around the thrust line presents better for our
purposes.
The location of the neutral point, cg and center of lateral area appear to
play a part as well.
You have a measure of control with the shape and positions of the ailerons.
You can usually influence the roll axis with aileron differential.

I obviously don't really understand the subject because I cannot quantify
it!

One reason the Snaky airplanes like the Prophecy were such a success is that
it about impossible to get the neutral point and the CG too far from the
thrust line or the wing center line.

I never saw a flyer that was happy with a Hydeout that had a big tank
stuffed in the canopy area.
It is another condition to consider with the wide bodies that are so popular
now.

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283