Replacement Bearings

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Mon Jan 6 12:24:18 AKST 2003

Look at the info on our website (aeroslave.com) under Accessories. There's
a bearing supplier here in North Texas that we've had the opportunity to
talk with.  The temperature appears to have more to do with bearing life
than anything else.  The local manufacturer (Purvis) carries NTN, as Ron
mentions, but also a few other manufacturers that make equivalents.  Major
bearing users usually lean toward the use of bearings that can be
purchased from a number of suppliers.  This is better for cost control and
consistent supply.  The color of the seal means nothing at all.  One mfg
uses red seals and another uses black or blue.
  There are different grades of bearings, but not all grades are available
in all sizes.  The good news is that the bearing companies have cross ref
charts, so if you can read the bearing number on your current bearing,
they can find all their stock choices that match,  At Purvis, they don't
seem to really support asking for the specific NTN bearing.  You give them
the NTN part number and they get you what they have in that size and
quality grade.
--Lance

I have been able to acquire replacement bearings of a corrosion resistant
steel (likely  stainless) which has shown excellent durability and
longevity in my OS 140 EFI's.   They RED plastic seals on both sides of
the bearing.   This rear bearing is made by NTN  of Japan and has a part
number:  6904 LLU/2A

Over 300 flights and still smooth, no corrosion.     You might check your
local supplier about these and see if they can get them.  These are really
good bearings.

The standard OS front bearing seems to have unlimited life (have not had
one to get rough yet) and is Part Number: 29431000 -- it has the red
plastic seals on both sides as well.

Ron Barr
 NSRCA 249
 AMA 6507