CA hinges installation - and CA talk

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Feb 27 07:40:29 AKST 2003

Keith

I am here-I just do not always care...........I do not worry about the CA
hinge foam deal because

1. The hinge only adheres to the balsa (Trim the length of the hinge to
match the depth of the balsa).
2. The CA will not wick into the foam since the foam is non absorbent.
3. An area of foam that touches the hinge and is damaged will not effect
the strength of the wing or improve your chances of survivng a mid-air
collision.

Crayon (wax) will not penetrate below the surface and so yes it will still
wick-just trim the hinge to the length of the structural bond area.  The
wicking capability on the same type of hinge vs. different brands of CA
will be viscosity dependent and humdity dependent. If it is a high
mumidity day then the CA with the massive CA hinge surface area will react
more rapidly (hence a viscosity increase). Also consider that all CA's age
and increase in viscosity-perhaps both brands of CA will wick the same IF
they start out at the same viscosity.
>From an ultimate strength and substrate compatibility standpoint foam safe
CA is not as good as regular CA BUT is it good enough? Probably yes.
CA's rapidly lose ultimate strength as humidity attacks the cured CA. I am
unaware of how foam safe CA resists moisture in the long term since we as
modelers are about the only ones using it.
Another fact about different brands of CA. Epoxy resin production volume
has got to be at least a million times bigger than CA. There are about 4-5
companies that make epoxy resin. How many companies do you really think
produce CA? If there are 3 I would be surprized.  Toll manufacturing is
the reality.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering