AC Input to DC Chargers

wgalligan wgalligan at cnbcom.net
Mon Feb 17 09:51:24 AKST 2003

I'm in the car business so I think I can answer this one.  Unless you are charging several other peoples batteries off you car battery then it shouldnt go dead buy the end of the day.  How old is your car battery? Is it hot out during the day?  These are factors in your cars battery ability to charge your equipment tand then be able to get you home.  In hot climate like here in Texas the heat is extremely tough on car batteries.  It can cause sulfating of the battery.  Once this begins to happen the battery loses its ability to retian its charge and will not fully charge to its capacity.
So if your battery is about 3yrs old be suspect that it could be going bad.  Another thing that a lot of people dont realize is that the battery could be drying out.  Make sure your battery is full of fluid (distiled water only), this can also cause premature failure of your cars battery.  The most your taking out of your car battery charging your airplanes is probably less then 5 amps.(electric dudes correct me if I'm wrong)  Not enough to kill a good battery. Even if you are charging e-flight batteries.

OK... so much for shop 101.....

Wayne