What NiMH 6.0V battery charger do I need?

Steve & Cindy Kessler kessler at kingwoodcable.net
Fri Feb 14 05:29:50 AKST 2003

Troy,

Thanks for the good information.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Troy Newman
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 12:38 AM
  Subject: Re: What NiMH 6.0V battery charger do I need?

  Ace Smart charger is a copy of the Sirius charger...it was designed for Nicad and Nimh batteries. The only concern when using Nimh batteries is not to charge them at C...meaning if its a 1650mah pack don't stick 1.65amps in it...you will be fine...You can use a Ace smart charger or the wall chargers.....Now the wall chargers or you digipace are designed for 4 cells and not 5..This only has one factor to take into consideration. The wall chargers will charge the 5 cell packs just not in the regular time...it takes a little longer than 16hrs to full charge a dead pack....The way the chargers work is they are designed around an expected internal resistance inside the battery...that resistance goes up by 25% when using a 5 cell pack....soooooo what happens there is a higher voltage drop over the battery than the charger is expecting...But if you check the voltage coming out of the wall chargers you will find it is much higher than the battery voltage anyway.....so don't swat it just realize what you are doing...Smart charge type devices are the absolute best for charging anyway....I use my Sirius Pro charger for everything and use it instead of the wall most of the time....Its rare I charge at a wall outlet once a month and that's flying 5-6 days every week.

  I am currently using 1650 nimh batts in all my pattern models. Hangar 9 also makes a charger called the Perfect Peak...its the same thing as the Sirius and Smart charge. It has a beeper in to tell when its done.....But I actually leave the packs on the Sirius all the time....I have packs lasting a couple years of hard flying....I'm talking 600-900 flights a year....Been using the Nimh now for the 3rd year.

  Troy Newman