Transferring from drawing to wood

Tomanek, Wojtek tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com
Tue Feb 11 05:01:05 AKST 2003

Xavier

I usually, cut the bulkhead/formers out of a piece of cardboard to make sure
the fit is correct or at least close to the final, then I make one out of
1/8, 3/16, or ¼ inch sheet balsa and recheck the fit.  Balsa is soft enough
to shape easily but rigid enough to make sure you can actually install it.
Then I cut the final former either light ply or fiberglass encased ¼ balsa.
Final results can be good, last firewall I installed had not more than
1/16-inch gap at any point.  When you are happy with the fit you can
actually shape the edge to an inverted shallow V (just like control surface)
to allow for easy application of epoxy.  Ribs are tougher especially on
tapered wing.   Here make root and tip shapes using Formica(tm) or similar a
drill at least two alignment holes in the two.  Then rough cut ribs with
some spacers (if you use 1/8 for ribs, you may have to use ¼ balsa spacer
(thickness of the spacer depends on the taper of the wing if no taper they
are not needed).  Bolt everything together and sand to shape with a T bar,
or similar. You can also cut out notches for the spars trailing and leading
edge in the Formica.

Hope this helps

Wojtek