YS 140L pistons??

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Fri Feb 7 16:24:45 AKST 2003

This mod was originally holes on the top of the piston and extended down to the ring groove behind the ring.....so that compression would cause the ring to push out and seal better on the sleeve.

This mod was done for the 140L's....It works on all the 140's same piston specs...even though there are several different generations of the piston for the 140 they are all interchangeable. The DZ piston is the best so far its very similar to the original YS 120 piston in that has a full shirt and with some lightening hole work done but nothing like the "L" piston. My suggestion to anyone buying anew piston is to use the DZ piston....You won't get any of the rocking issues on the previous and early versions of the "L" piston....

As for a performance increase with the gas porting (groove or holes) its minor the big thing is that it helps save the pistons....On the other hand the ring will not last as long...but a $20 ring is preferred over the price of a new piston every time....considering if you replace the piston you're probably going to do the ring also and maybe even the cylinder.

I'm not sure if the DZ pistons have it gas ported or not.....I know I have one that is and 2 pistons that are not. The DZ piston is the fix for piston problems....If you want a little more of your "L" try the DZ cam gear also.....It has a higher lift and longer duration that the "L" cam gear.....changing the cam may make the L a little more barky and give it a bit more kick but I'm sure it would increase power.

Troy Newman