Judging behavior

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Sat Feb 1 05:39:42 AKST 2003

--On Saturday, February 01, 2003 8:46 AM -0800 Del Rykert
<drykert at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Do we have to resort to a rule of what constitutes unsportsmanlike
> conduct. The CD always has the right to bar anyone from continuing in the
> contest for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I don't know what the book says.

I hope that it doesn't say much.

We don't need a multiplication of rules.  We need
people with good judgment to call 'em as they
see 'em.  There are a multitude of ways of being
"unsportsmanlike."  When you start giving definitions,
then the unsportsmanlike people start arguing that
they can't be barred because they didn't commit
a rule-book violation--"Anything not explicitly
prohibited is permitted."

It's much, much better to leave the rule vague
so that the CDs can deal with problem children
(sorgenkinder) on the spot and as needed.

Just an opinion.  I won't kill or die for it.

					Marty #2874

# discussion-request at nsrca.org