More Hydeout cheek cowls

Amir Neshati amirneshati at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 01:32:02 AKST 2003

Hydeout cheek cowlsI forgot, if you have disposable plastic syringes, you can fill it with the epoxy/micro mixture,
clip the tip at an angle at the diameter you want and apply...may go over it with a small spatula
or dip your little finger in a bit of 99% alcohol and run it over the fillet......do a practice run before
the real deal if you haven't tried this method before.

Amir

  I would take the flange off.......then in order to match the contour of the cheeks' base
  to the fuselage, put some stick back sand paper on the fuselage, where the cheeks
  will be glued, then move the cheeks back and forth or up and down to sand to shape.
  120 grit should do....

  As for gluing, you can tack glue with CA or 5 minute epoxy, then come back with a
  fairly dry mixture of micro balloons and slow cure epoxy and make a small fillet all
  around....Once dry, use a small diameter dowel and wrap sticky back sand paper
  on it to sand the fillet.....should be easy and the fillet adds about 2 grams  to each
  cheek....about 1/8" diameter fillet should do.

  Before gluing, scuff the the areas that glue will be applied to with 220ish
  grit paper lightly just to take the shine off, wipe with alcohol and smell some glue ;-)

  Take care,
  Amir

    All,

    I'm building a Hydeout and its about finished. One of the last things I need to do is glue on the cheek cowls. I could use some advice on how others did this. The cheek cowls have about a 1/2" flange. The fuse sides are not perfectly flat and I'm dot sure how to hold them in place as they dry. So here are a few questions for those of you who have done this:

    1.) What glue did you use?
    2.) Did you keep the flange or cut some of it off?
    3.) How did you hold it in place as the glue dries?
    Thanks for your advice!

    --Gordon